Tips for keeping your property safe during bad weather
Weather alerts may be issued on a national or regional basis during adverse weather conditions and you should regularly check for updates from Met Eireann. During winter months it is important for homeowners and tenants to check their property regularly to ensure everything is working properly. Any repairs needed should be reported to your landlord immediately.
Below are some helpful tips for cold weather.
- Ensure that you have adequate heating either oil or solid fuel.
- Ensure you have adequate provisions for a couple of days and have regular hot drinks and meals.
- Make sure you have running hot and cold water and that pipes are properly protected against frost. Do not run the water to stop pipes from freezing as this will run tanks dry and can also cause water shortages.
- Check-in with elderly/vulnerable neighbours living in private rented accommodation to ensure that they are ok.
- Where there is ice/snow ensure that pathways etc are clear.
- Do not make any unnecessary journeys.
- If you experience difficulties report the problems to your landlord/agent/managing agent immediately.