An Orange storm warning is in place for many western counties and some eastern counties for Tuesday 7th December 6am to Wednesday 8th December 6am. A yellow rain warning is also in place nationwide, as the strong winds from Storm Barra are accompanied by heavy rain. Please stay safe and follow the following guidelines regarding your property.
Prepare your home for storms
Many associate winter with being a very cosy time of year. I think you’ll agree that there is nothing better than wrapping up in a cosy blanket with the family in front of an open fire to watch a movie while your beautiful home protects you from the harsh west coast winter weather.
However, in order for your home to be able to protect you from that winter weather, you’ll have to make sure it’s prepared and ready. With more and more stormy weather hitting the West Coast, here are some handy tips which may help your home get ready for Winter:
General home maintenance
- Check your roof regularly to make sure it’s in good condition. If necessary get a professional to check it for you.
- Keep gutters, downpipes and drains clear.
- Remove tree branches that are close to your house.
- Ensure that any dead trees are professionally cut down.
- Fix any corrosion, loose fittings and rotting or termite-affected timber on patios or fences.
- Secure loose items around your property such as garden furniture and tools.
General home safety preparations
- Ensure your home, contents and car insurance is adequate and current.
- Learn how to safely turn off your power, water and gas.
- Keep water containers, a camping stove and fuel safely on-hand
For further information on protecting your home during cold spells, read our blog here.
When a storm is imminent:
- Park your car in the garage if you have one.
- Keep all pets indoors.
- Ensure all windows and doors are securely closed.
- Most importantly only venture outside if it’s safe, the property can be replaced people cant.
#StormBarra will bring disruptive weather to Ireland on Tuesday and Wednesday, with impacts from severe, damaging winds as well as heavy rain. #Wind and #rain warnings are in place across Ireland ⚠️🍃☔️
Read more in our #StormBarra news story 📰ℹ️ https://t.co/jZZxcE5Nup pic.twitter.com/dVL6MasdRA
— Met Éireann (@MetEireann) December 6, 2021